Thursday, March 6, 2014

Out of my comfort zone

I woke up today around noon feeling sick. I knew it was because of yesterday’s stupidity married with nerves, so I did my best to suck it up. 

I went to my friends house last night to record. He's a super gangster thug rapper and he wanted me on the hook. ME! He talked about it before briefly a couple months ago but I didn't think he was serious until recently. He sent me the song last weekend to get familiar with it and last night we put on our headphones and went at it. I was a nervous wreck. I haven't actually sang in front of another human being in over a year, needless to say I was out of practice. I think I did an OK job masking my jitters by distracting him with loads of questions. But I think my nervous laughter gave it away. He could tell I was insecure and he called me out on it which obviously made me more insecure and want to run away but in the end it really wasn't so bad. As usual I let my nerves get the best of me and made a mountain out of a mole hill. I will say though, that he was really nice to me the entire time! He didn't laugh at me or critique me harshly or anything at all. So that's something. His cousin, who left early for a *date*, is also a super gangster thug rap star and he asked if I would sing on his song as well. I told him I would try but I can't promise I'll be any good. As terrified as I was of being the one to ruin his song (which was pretty deep by the way) I went for it anyway. I mean, I was already there! I might as well sing. I did the best I could, considering, and hopefully it was enough. While I'm on the subject of singing- I've always been really insecure about my voice. And these days I don't even sing just for myself. I hate to be such a downer but I've got nothing in my life that's worth singing about. But maybe, just maybe, that will soon change.

On a happier note: I got a note from an old friend about his fundraiser. He does 'The Gong Show" like once a year or something like that to raise money for a local kids' summer program. Cool right? This time around he had the idea to have a Tina Turner copycat and guess who he thought of? I don't know where the heck I'm gonna find a wig and an outfit on such short notice. Did I mention the show is next Saturday? He tells me on the phone, "Find yourself a really big CRAZY wig, a gold chain-mail pixie dress, a hit Tina song, and if you could rally some of your girlfriends to be your background singers that would be great too." WHAT?! But I'm excited! I already have the perfect outfit in mind. A couple songs are floating around in my head. But background singers? I can't pull that rabbit out of my hat. Another thing is that I have to work that night from 4 until 8! The show starts at 8!! I'll see if I can switch my schedule around. I told him I'd give him a call ASAP so that he has some time to find a replacement if I can't get off work early.

They say that life starts at the end of your comfort zone.
Well these two things are waaaaaaay out of MY comfort zone.

Cheers to trying new things.
Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment