Sunday, June 22, 2014

60's Scalloped Shift

I really love shift dresses. Lately I've been drooling over old fashion ads and random pictures from the 60s. I picked up this little pattern last November and made the dress the same day. But for whatever reason (I don't know what I did wrong???) the neckline was gaping by like 3 1/2 inches. I had no idea how to fix it! I couldn't re-cut the fabric or start over because I had used a thrifted bedsheet. After a couple days and a few headaches I put it in my project graveyard and resolved to come back to it another time. Well it's been long enough (over 6 months!) and I decided to make a sort of pleat in the center. I folded the center outward about an inch and sewed across the top stitching. At that point it looked a little lacking. I loved the print and the scalloped hem but it still needed something. After taking a nap because I was still frustrated (I always say napping is like the 'reset' button for my brain), I then added blue and white buttons across the neckline. They were perfect! Complimented the dress perfectly and I'm so happy with how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment