Monday, June 9, 2014

Wiggin' out


1//2//3//4//5//6//7//8

I am no stranger to fake hair. I love wigs, extensions, clip-in pieces, whatever. I also recently started to entertain the thought of cosplay. I knew what it was but it always seemed too nerdy for my taste- comics, animes, conventions, etc. Even though there were a few anime shows that I watched when I was little like Inuyasha, Sailor Moon, and Kiki's Delivery Service. Very very rarely would I see any brown skinned girls in that world (is it just me?) but these days I'm seeing it more and more. Now that I'm older I think it's safe to say that the world is a bit more open minded about different forms of expression. It's no secret that there are talented artist everywhere you look on the internet. A few weeks ago I started following Edward a.k.a. nich0lael  on Tumblr and I was blown away by how adorable their drawings are! I was even more blown away at the fact that they were brown skinned like me!! This gave me all the push I needed. I always thought that crazy hair colors were for white girls. I mean, any time I saw a black girl with an 'unnatural' hair color she'd get unfairly labeled as 'ghetto' 'hoodrat' 'tacky' you name it. Adversely the women of the pale skin tribe were seen as 'eclectic' 'alternative' 'creative' 'whimsical' and such.

But for whatever reason these few little drawings (I mean really, how cool are they?) gave me so much hope and inspiration. If those magical girls up there can look fab with blue/purple/pink hair then so can I! And besides, I'm a grown woman. If I want to wear a crazy 'unnatural' wig every once in a while then I will regardless of the color of my skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment