Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Little miracles


My mom happily reported to me that my sister had gone to the hospital early that afternoon after having some contractions. It was finally time! I was thinking Yes! Today's the day I finally get to meet my niece! We jumped around in my mom's room for a few minutes just talking and getting even more excited. And then I remembered I had to babysit. I thought, aw man I'm gonna miss it. I told her she's just gonna have to wait because I will be babysitting Judah today and so do what you gotta do 'til I get there. Kidding but not really.

I went to my cousins house and boy was he hyper! Video games, action figures, pretending to be ninjas complete with pool noodle swords, running around until we dropped and back to video games. It was fun but very very tiring. Also, I don't know who 'Stephanie' is... but he seems to be pretty convinced that it's me and declared angrily that "I'm not his friend anymore" until I say my name the right way. But my name is Ebone... so I guess we can't be friends haha! He'll get over it.

About an hour after returning home we were headed to Kaiser. I made sure to eat something because who knew when we'd be back. So I was praying the whole night that it would be as quick and painless as possible. When we arrived we hung out in the lobby for a bit... well everyone else did. I did my usual exploring and walked around every hallway being nosy. I mean, who can resist? I know I'm not the only one who feels compelled to go everywhere there's a "do not enter" or "staff only" sign. Surprisingly hospitals don't freak me out anymore. I don't know if it's due to the general excitement of being there to witness a birth rather than visit the sick... Or because of all the hospital dramas on TV have left me desensitized. Either way I'm glad that fear is gone after all these years.
(me walking around in places I ain't got no business being in)



Fast-forward a few hours past all the anxious waiting and at about 9:30-9:45ish, it was time. Water had been broken and baby was sure to come any minute. Everyone (all 8 of us when there was really only 5 supposed to be allowed in the room) was standing, silence, I don't think anyone was even breathing, the head was seen. "Crowning" they called it. The doctor came in, nurses had to get us out of the way, and we coached her along with a bunch of, "PUSH!!!" and "C'mon c'mon!" And literally within 30 seconds from the first push was a wailing healthy baby girl! Fastest birth in the world! Oh yeah, God answers prayers.



We spent the next 3 1/2 hours or so swooning and fawning over the little miracle. And a miracle she was, 7 lbs 10 oz and hardly cried at all! Eyes wide open the entire time trying so hard already to check everyone out. I wish I could know what she was thinking in that pretty little head of hers. "Who are you? Where am I? Why is it so bright in here? Are you my mom? Are YOU my mom?"

Welcome to the world Danielle. The whole family waited 9 months for you. We love you so much already.






 photo signature_zpsbd922b58.png

No comments:

Post a Comment