Saturday, July 6, 2013

It's not 'goodbye,' it's 'see you later'

Today we had a memorial service for a wonderful man I know to be my Uncle. Technically wasn't my uncle, but I don't live on technicalities. This man was as much a part of my family as anyone I know. If you look back in our family pictures I can guarantee he's in at least  50 of them.

I remember him as a fun-loving person. One that was easily excitable. He loved children. Oh man, every time I was at a family event he was there with a whole bag full of magic tricks, games, puzzles, anything to entertain and engage us all. I remember he had a play when I was younger (maybe around age 10?), and myself and all my cousins were participants. It was so much fun! He had produced, written, and directed it all on his own.

What I didn't know until today was that he had written, produced, directed TONS of plays. I'm talking murder mysteries, dinner theater, game shows, music, all kinds of things! It's funny, because he wasn't a bragging man. He was always very humble. And that's something to be admired. God put it in his heart to entertain, to create, and he did exactly that. He left us much too soon.

The last song he wrote is called "You don't need magic to believe." His niece sung it today at the memorial and it was absolutely adorable. The song itself was very beautiful and inspiring. I hope I can get my hands on the lyrics, because it is really a beautiful song. And the fact that he wrote it makes it even more special.

The latest project he was working on was called "Faithful Feud." A gospel-based game show. Sad that he won't be able to see it's debut, but the people he was working with are so amazing that they've made a promise to finish it out. They loved him as well and they are even creating a scholarship fund in his honor! This I have no doubt, in addition to all of the friends and family, will keep his legacy alive.

I'm so thankful for all of the memories I have with him. I shed a few tears today but I also shared a few laughs hearing stories and memories that others had shared. Even though I'm sad to lose him I know that this isn't the end. We'll see him again. He was a God fearing man, and I believe his spirit is with the Lord. Betcha' he's directing a special play up there right now for all of heaven to enjoy.


My heart is a little heavy, but it's still warm knowing that he's in a much happier place than anywhere on Earth.


Victor is home now.
He's home.



No comments:

Post a Comment